The Dunleith mansion is actually the second antebellum structure built on this spot. The original, built by Job Routh and passed down to his daughter Mary, was struck by lightning and burned down in 1855. Mary's husband, General Charles G. Dahlgren, rebuilt the 26-room home. It was sold for $30,000 in 1858 to Alfred Vidal Davis. In 1974, it was declared a National Historic Landmark.